Skip to main content

In memoriam of John Lennon






On this day in 1980, we lost a music icon. John Winston Ono Lennon was shot and killed by Mark David Chapman four times in the back, on his way back home from the studio to see his son Sean. John Lennon was a beacon of hope in a hopeless world. His death, as well as George Harrisons in 2001, was a blow to the world as a whole. Even in the Beatles, their opinions and thoughts on things were beyond anyone else. The rest of the world started looking to the Beatles themselves for the way they would look and think. John was a human, imperfect. We all know he grew up in a macho world, and was abusive towards his first wife. When he married Yoko, he also started to grow alot as a man and a human being, and was imperfect and admitted it, but he always was a champion for peace. Trying each day to be better. His music was beautiful and touched many lives over generations. I could tell and retell the stories of John and his music with The Beatles and his solo career, his politics, but in the end he wrote beautiful music, and wanted to help make the world a better place and be a good father and husband. I have asked friends and others that vary many different backgrounds, and different generations. They have shared the impact John left on them. If you have more to add, feel free to leave comments.




That day was more sad than when the space shuttle exploded. Word of his shooting went like wildfire through the media, which of coarse was limited to what it is today...
Personally, I was just getting to know my guitar pretty well, and yes, The Beatles were one of the favorites to play, and at that time my guitar was a Rickenbacher, so the sound was eerily similar.  
I cried that day in 1980.Death doesn't affect me like most people. But as far as His life, well, he was a talented man. To hear him sing in harmony with the other members was inspiring, to say the least. I love singing harmonies too, a lot of that comes from listening to him, the Beatles and several other groups from my childhood.His musical abilities are world known. He could play guitar, base, piano, and his vocal range was astounding.-M Alan Stark, Western NY



Where can I even begin man hes fucking legendary , the whole band is they literally made such a huge impact on the whole music industry.. Nuff said-Mike Bohrer 18, Seneca COUNTY  NY



I might struggle. I know that he turned his life around from an angry, arrogant and sometimes violent man to one who recognised a better way. Yoko really was his soulmate and together they were ambassadors of peace. The young John Lennon was someone outspoken, but cocky. The older Lennon learned from his previous failed abusive marriage to Cynthia that he had to change.-Andrew Gibbons, Blackpool England


He made it ok to be weird and to think differently. A true man.-Joe Tyree, Gettysburg PA




Ever since I first heard it, the song of his ‘Instant Karma’ has made a strong subconscious imprint on me. It has made me watch more closely, how I speak to others and how I treat them. And vice versa.I've become a lot more selective of the company I keep with age.
Because I know some people out there don't think about this stuff much.-Max Voice, Australia


Lennon’s music influenced me most by opening my eyes into what a song actually means. He (and the Beatles) was the first artist/group that made me try and dissect the lyrics to a song. As a child, you learn to listen to the beat/rythm of a song, and try to memorize the lyrics. But with Lennon, his music made me want to try and actually breakdown a song and understand its meaning. His words were so creative and peaceful - not just “catchy” like all of the other rock bands of the time, tried to be. When they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’ I automatically think of The Beatles. Everybody in rock at the time “tried” to copy the magic they had. And to me Lennon was the main creative force behind their popularity.

What was amazing about John Lennon’s death was how it spilled across all media platforms so quickly. Even decades before the Internet, his death interrupted Monday Night Football, it stopped radio stations, it sent TV stations into special programming. He was such a Worldwide icon that it was like a member of the Royal family died.

The outpouring of grief was so large and so overwhelming, because it was such a shock to the world. His music spread across the most important generation, musically, that we’ve ever known. So when this tragedy occurred it was like a family member had died, to so many people.

Creatively speaking he was such a genius that there was no replacing him. It’s amazing to look at the Beatles catalog and think, they only did this in a little under 9 years? That’s it? Meanwhile 800 million record sales later, they are the biggest selling band of all-time.

The brilliance of Lennon can best be seen in his lyrics. Although the Beatles music went Through quite a transformation from Please Please Me to Abbey Road, his peaceful lyrics/message never really changed. Even in his solo projects, his message remained the same. He was still that same, peaceful genius that changed Rock and Roll forever.-Dan Spiro, York Pa


He was a poet of a generation and generations to come.-Ace Finchum, Drummer in Tigertailz USA


"Music aside, there was one thing that John did that I will always respect. When his son Sean was born, he walked away from music for five years in order to nurture the child. I know that some people will point out his relationship with Julian, and that's another issue altogether, but him walking away from his career and his passion for five years to be a dad really resonated with me. It speaks volumes to the father in me."-Dee Calhoun, Iron Man, and solo artist, Frederick, MD



Here’s the story my dad shared with me. Immediately following Lennon’s murder my dad was in NY city (obviously because that is where he lived). He told me that he saw flocks of people with blankets headed to Central Park to mourn. That story always creates a really powerful image to me….He said just massive amounts of people carrying blankets were getting on the subway to go to the park. - Roxie Millan, musician writer and producer York, PA



I remember Samson were recording 'Shock Tactics' when we heard the news that John Lennon had been killed...we aborted the session for that evening  and ended up drinking and being generally 'stupid' in the studio remembering different stories about The Beatles and our lives...-Barry 'Thunderstick' Graham, ex Iron Maiden drummer, ex Samson drummer, Thunderstick Drummer



So, How did John Lennon's music influence me? Although I never learned to play an instrument, I always enjoyed listening to music. My first recollection of his music was obviously with the Beatles. My oldest cousin on my dad's side had most of The Beatles albums. Revolution 1 from The White Album became one of my favorites of his. Back when I was a kid, I honestly can't say I remember much of his solo hits, at least not until I was 11 years of age and he  just released his comeback album (Doublhade Fantasy) in 1980. (Just Like) Starting Over, Woman, and Watching The Wheels were the big hits being played on radio stations. It was a big shock when we all heard the news about 

.......Paul DiZinno, music and vinyl. Enthusiast, Florida


John, we love you and miss you and carry your message in our hearts. Rest in Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats-The Night Creeper review

The Night Creeper, by Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats, is their third record, and it shows them progressing. And its fucking  fantastic. It has the riffs and vibes of Black Sabbath, with haunting vocals, and a sense of melody that most  Stoner Doom Metal bands lack. There are hooks, and dark vibes. It's incindiary. And if anybody doubts their legitimacy, they opened  for Black Sabbath on the UK leg of their last tour, which in Doom, that's a hell of a endorsement. They don't copy Sabbath,  they put their own dark, melodic spin on the genre. This record is absolutely phenomenal, dark, abysmal, eerie, and filled with incredible freakin riffs. With lyrics that are reminscent of old school b movie horror films, they create an atmosphere that literally makes you feel like you  are walking down a dark alley in the cold English rain. With songs like Waiting For Blood, Pusher Man, and the title track,   slow, sludgeing Sabbath-esgue riffs, Iron Maiden like guitar harmonies, a

Interview with Nadir D'Priest lead singer for London

Nadir D'Priest is the lead singer of Legendary LA glam band London, who founder Lizzie Grey even nicknamed the 'training camp for future rockstars’  in Decline Of Western Civilization part two. A set of extraordinary heavy metal god like pipes as heard on songs such as Werewolves In London and Russian Winter, London has regrouped in 2019 with a brand new album Call That Girl. I sat down with D”Priest and discussed the beginning of his tenure in the band and Londons future. When did you decide you wanted to sing in a rock n roll band? When I was a little kid I was a drummer so I basically started as a drummer and moved onto singing early in life. Who were you early influences? Black sabbath Led Zeppelin Three Dog Night YES Dio 1st album Deep Purple James Brown Sinatra and many more. Tell me about your early groups and early experiences. Bands I’ve been in? I started in a band called assassin in Pasadena California which moved me on to a couple other little local ba

Damn Dice-Wild N' Ready EP review 2013

I’ve been a fan of Damn Dice for about three years now, and I must say their debut EP Wild ‘N’ Ready is a raucous ass-kicking blend of ball busting rock ‘n’ roll with great vocals and musical hooks, and also killer melodies. The six song EP gets straight to the point with “Bang Your Head”, a hard rocker with a bridge that holds back the mayhem of the chorus. This song will send you into a mesmerizing fury of headbanging, no matter where you are, and the solo executed by lead axeman Wallis is incredible. “Caught In The Ride” is top notch as well — with very inspiring words, Alex‘s voice is soaring and the sing along melodies are great. “Take The Fight” is anthemic and also inspiring, with great vocals, an ass-kicking guitar riff, frantic drums, and backing vocals and harmonies that are once again a perfect blend. Heavy and rocking with a sense of melody, the song is about standing up for yourself and not taking people’s shit. “Down” has varied a little bit over the last few years, but i