Skip to main content

Temperance Movement/Judas Priest/Deep Purple Live 9-5-18

It's 93 degrees, and humid. Sitting at Darien lake Amphitheater, (mind you I was covered in sweat from 632pm up to 11pm, the next day we here in NY experienced a drop in temperature and humidity to instantaneous autumn.) Anyway, anticipation that I am seeing Judas Priest for the second time, and seeing Deep Purple finally, a childhood dream come true at 27. I always felt people really overlooked them, they're much more than Smoke On the Water for God's sake. Anyway, I am sitting there sweating, unsure of who the opening band is. The venue and set up is great.
Finally the band is introduced, The Temperance Movement take the stage at roughly 641 pm. Instantly I'm shell-shocked, they're DAMN good. A young upstart band probably around my age, with a sound that crosses the Black Crowes, with the Rolling Stones and early Aerosmith, before they got sober and became a pop band. The singer even channels Mick Jagger and has a great, raspy voice and a clean sweet voice too. Top notch players, loud, raw, and real. These dudes got it, no doubt. They're British and sound more American than most bands today. Speaking of that, observing the audience, for seeing 3 British bands tonight, there's alot of American flags on display. I don't get it, but it amused me slightly.
The temperance movement finishes up their set. We sit down and I go have a smoke and come back, now it's the Metal God's taking the stage soon, I'm smoking fast and remembering what it was like when I first saw them and realizing here I am again. I take my seat, sun Is setting but still the heat is insane. Packed like sardines in the seats, it's rough but we love it. At 740pm the crowd is chanting for Priest, and well , I was, too, let's face It. The curtain goes down, stage set up is like a mix  of defenders meets turbo era. They start off with firepower. Rob is killing it, sounding fantastic. Lots of energy and real raw power and his voice is still inhuman almost . The metal God is made of stainless steel, and will never rust. Andy and Richie are definitely in unison, obviously any fan misses the Glenn and KK duo, no doubt, but these guys are doing what we all wish we could do ourselves. And they are fucking killing it. They whip out Delivering the goods, and Andy and Richie trade off solos and it's like orgasmic. Sinner comes next, one of my all time Favourites, and it sounds so energetic and it's blowing me away that they are just invincible it seems. The band is on fucking fire, full of raw molten metal. Richie's take on sinner is phenomenal and improvised very well. And Andy does the last solo. There's a reason Glenn chose Andy to fill in.  The band plays lighting strike, and the crowd is absolutely lackadaisical about a new song, they literally stand still like confused. It really irked me, like get a little past 1982, it's still classic Priest, but fuck sakes it's got better production! Cmon. Firepower reached number five in the charts get with it baby boomers! Desert Plains comes next and is a treat for sure, loved that song since I was 7 years old, brings back memories, and really resonates in me as a person and I don't know why. So getting to see it live was a dream come true. Turbo lover was fucking great, then guardians plays, and they do Rising From Ruins and despite the crowds lame response to it, I was belting every word with every ounce of my being. Rob pulls out a sword or upside down cross thing, badass. They pull out freehwheel fucking burning and I go nuts. Any fan of true old school Priest knows this song is a fucking anthem for us faithful metallions. They do their typical encores, some great stage screens too, with visions of England and politicians and bank robbers during breaking the law, it was orgasmic. I go smoke a cigarette and sit again. Crowd thins out. Are they nuts? Deep fucking purple is coming onstage, an people are leaving in droves. Oh well, gave me more wiggle room. Deep purple come out with Highway Star, and it was orgasmic in a psychedelic hard rock way rather than the machine gun fire ecstasy of Judas priest. When you witness deep purple start a show with Highway Star, you've joined a special club and it really makes an impact on you. You fall on love. Gillan sounds fucking amazing at 73,ive always loved his voice, personality, and his style and vibe, and to finally see one of my favourite singers live singing this song, it was just incindiary. Then they follow with Pictures of Home from machine head, a kind of deep cut which I sang every word too proudly. They played a couple new songs and they were amazing. Gillan is still the hairy scream, he's just going Grey. Steve Morse is a incindiary guitar player, a master akin to Blackmore himself. During strange kind of woman from My favourite album Fireball, I notice a pair of headohones randomly flew up in the air near Roger Glover's side of the stage during the guitar solo. I don't know what that was about, but that stuck out as random. And funny to me. A spinal tap moment if you will. Ian pays tribute to Jon Lord, as Don Airey does a well worthy keyboard solo in his honour. Then the jam leads into Lazy, one of my Favourites, Gillan playing the harp, and the band just jams the fuck out of the song, improvising it, amazingly well, too, just like they always did back in the day. They pull out knocking on your back door, a personal favourite of mine. The double entedre lyric is a work of fucking genius. Pure poetry. A wee trippy keyboard intro into perfect strangers, another brilliant song. Space Truckin was a highpoint with the psychedelic intense visuals going as another generations anthem is played and sang by everyone including me, rocking out, dancing , grooving, sweating, smoking, toking, drinking, and united as one, as soldiers of rock, many younger than me as much as older than me. Smoke on the Water is played with visuals of headlines and newspapers telling story, and they close it with Hush. An absolutely stunning sell fucking show by all the bands, they are not aging dinosaurs, they are gods among us, and proved it to me that good music doesn't go out of style and does not get old. It was a religious experience in rock and metal history. Best show I've seen in a very long time. I'd see it again and again if I could. The high from it and the music and everything man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats-The Night Creeper review

The Night Creeper, by Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats, is their third record, and it shows them progressing. And its fucking  fantastic. It has the riffs and vibes of Black Sabbath, with haunting vocals, and a sense of melody that most  Stoner Doom Metal bands lack. There are hooks, and dark vibes. It's incindiary. And if anybody doubts their legitimacy, they opened  for Black Sabbath on the UK leg of their last tour, which in Doom, that's a hell of a endorsement. They don't copy Sabbath,  they put their own dark, melodic spin on the genre. This record is absolutely phenomenal, dark, abysmal, eerie, and filled with incredible freakin riffs. With lyrics that are reminscent of old school b movie horror films, they create an atmosphere that literally makes you feel like you  are walking down a dark alley in the cold English rain. With songs like Waiting For Blood, Pusher Man, and the title track,   slow, sludgeing Sabbath-esgue riffs, Iron Maiden like guitar harmonies, a

Atollo13 Scimmie Di Mare album review

Scimmie Di Mare is the latest full length release from Italian Surf band Atollo13, and it is fun from the moment it starts to the end. Reminiscent of The Eliminators and the Blue Stingrays and The Shadows, there's some groovy and gnarly tunes here that you can dig unless you're a square. Trappistone is the beginning intro, complete with the old vox keyboard and reverb drenched fender guitars in all their Cali sun glory. Such great musicianship here. Linda Linda the first song with vocals, they sing in Italian, but it sounds right. It's a wonderful song. It's crazy to hear perfect top notch surf music with Italian lyrics, but I must say it's better than alot of stuff around today. It sounds fresh out of a pier in the early 60s. Sea Monkeys starts off with discord and a psychedelic moment before grooving into a beautiful dance tune. Any record that encourages fun, or dancing is a good one. These guys completely have it nailed down and tight. I did not w

Interview with Nadir D'Priest lead singer for London

Nadir D'Priest is the lead singer of Legendary LA glam band London, who founder Lizzie Grey even nicknamed the 'training camp for future rockstars’  in Decline Of Western Civilization part two. A set of extraordinary heavy metal god like pipes as heard on songs such as Werewolves In London and Russian Winter, London has regrouped in 2019 with a brand new album Call That Girl. I sat down with D”Priest and discussed the beginning of his tenure in the band and Londons future. When did you decide you wanted to sing in a rock n roll band? When I was a little kid I was a drummer so I basically started as a drummer and moved onto singing early in life. Who were you early influences? Black sabbath Led Zeppelin Three Dog Night YES Dio 1st album Deep Purple James Brown Sinatra and many more. Tell me about your early groups and early experiences. Bands I’ve been in? I started in a band called assassin in Pasadena California which moved me on to a couple other little local ba